Ron is sharing with you today his recipe for his Flourless Chocolate Cake (Yes it’s gluten free! But if you have a nut allergy – I can’t help you…sorry!)
Ingredients6 eggs 1 1/4 cups walnut pieces 1 cup chopped bittersweet chocolate 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter 1 tablespoon cocoa powder 1 teaspoon instant coffee (optional) 1/4 teaspoon salt 1 cup granulated sugar
1. Butter a 9-inch round springform pan, line with a circle of parchment paper, and butter again.
2. Separate eggs into whites and yolks.
3. Grind walnuts in a coffee grinder (it’s okay if it has leftover coffee) or a food processor. (Ron likes to leave in some larger pieces for texture.)
4. Partially melt chocolate and butter in the microwave. Remove and stir until completely melted, and cool to room temperature.
5. Add to melted chocolate mixture and stir well: egg yolks, walnuts, cocoa powder and optional instant coffee.
6. Whip egg whites and salt in a mixer, gradually adding sugar and beating to stiff peaks.
7. Mix 1/4 of the whites into the chocolate mixture to lighten, and than gently but thoroughly fold in the remaining whipped whites.
8. Pour into prepared pan, and bake in a 350-degree oven for 40 to 45 minutes. A thin crust will develop on top.
9. Let cool in pan for 20 minutes. Run a knife around the edges and release ring.
10. Serve with a sprinkling of powdered sugar and/or a dollop of whipped cream.